FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp., is a diversified energy company headquartered in Akron, Ohio. Its subsidiaries and affiliates are involved in the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity, as well as energy management and other energy-related services. Its seven electric-utility operating companies comprise the nation’s fifth largest investor-owned electric system, based on 4.5 million customers served within a 36,100-square-mile area of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Its generation subsidiaries control more than 14,000 megawatts of capacity.
Operations performance issues drew attention to FENOC’s need for improved communications at all levels in their plant environments.
The Grid Solution
A search for corrective solutions led FENOC to discover Grid. The solution focused on self-discovery and self-convincing experiences for the strong-willed management team in a powerful “command and control” nuclear environment.
Actions being taken in the workplace by those who participated in Grid are resulting in:
- Broader inclusion of individuals in informational and operational meetings;
- Increased information sharing between the nuclear plants;
- Greater focus on problem resolution;
- More solicitation of ideas from the leadership;
- Increased examination of potential problems and preventive actions;
- More vigilance in compliance with operational procedures and tasks;
- More recognition for individuals and teams for doing what is right rather than the past model of who is right;
- Improved and more respectful relationships;
- Improved trust in the more team-based environment.
- Akron, Ohio
- Electricity Gen